Furnishing an apartment in Nairobi can be a bit tricky for many reasons. Usually furnished apartments are small, often there is a tight budget to contend with, and on top of all this there might be restrictions in your lease on what you can and can’t do.But none of those conditions should scare you away from furnishing an attractive space to your own liking.
There are certain pieces of furniture that you must have when furnishing any living space whether it is a house or an apartment.
- You need a sofa for you and your visitors to sit upon.
- You need a table and some chairs for dining. The table may also double as a work surface. The chairs may be used for extra seating when you have friends over.
- You need a bed for sleeping. A sleeper sofa, or sofa bed can double as a combination sitting and sleeping surface for you or visitors.
- Storage furniture.
Multi-functionality and Flexibility:
To furnish an apartment in Nairobi effectively you have to think in terms of multi-functionality and flexibility.
- Be flexible in how you use your space. Turn a dining area into a home office, or set up a seating group around a table to double as a sitting and dining area.
- Divide space to suit your needs with room dividers. A room divider could be especially useful in a studio apartment.
- Choose a coffee table that has storage space, such as a trunk, or choose one that lets you adjust its height for dining or work.
Creative storage is much needed in a the furnished apartment in Nairobi as it is easier for smaller spaces to become overrun with clutter. Buy a bed that has storage underneath. It could be in the shape of pull out drawers or a bed that lifts up to let you store stuff. Nightstands, accent tables, ottomans can also provide storage. Dining tables, coffee tables, room dividers with shelves, all are good storage options. Some sofas come with storage. Vertical storage in the shape of floating shelves can help keep clutter in control.
Use Accessories to Layer and Personalize:
Once you have the essentials in place, accessorize to dress up your apartment to turn it into a more welcoming and comfortable space.
- Floor lamps provide flexibility and let you free up table tops for books or other belongings.
- Rugs help hide unsightly floors and walls.
- Curtains help soften a sterile space, and help muffle noise.
- Ceiling to floor curtains and tall shelving units add a vertical aspect, making a room appear larger.
- Wall decals, peel off wallpaper, posters and paintings, or fabric on stretchers can dress up walls even when you are not allowed to paint your walls.